Bowling Evolution Forum

Bowling Evolution Forum - Bowling - Bad Habits and Carry Problems

Bad Habits and Carry Problems

Page: 1

Author Post
Recently i have been getting very fast, where as my average strike ball speed is about 16-17, its now around 20. My spare ball speed is about 23-24. I dont know why my speed has been getting faster, but i think it is effecting my axis tilt and my carry. Since this "speed" problem, i have been putting a lot more forward roll, and my carry has been horible. It seems that i have been more accurate since all this has happened, but i get kinda pissed when i cant carry corner pins, no matter what ball. Im not really sure what to do, maybe some one has some advice?

Ebonite - Pin Slasher
Roto Grip - Cell, Cell Pearl, Rogue Cell
Storm - Virtual Gravity, Rapid Fire, Second Dimension, Tropical Storm

House shot average - 227
PBA experience average - 188
High game - 300
well, ive been bowling with 23mph strike ball for a while now.. it doesnt work on heavy oil, the speed is just too much for the ball. So ill be changing myself to slow it down a lot.. Try keeping your hand on the side of the ball from pushaway until you release and see if that helps. The carry for me with 23 mph has been far greater than throwing it slower, but i bowl on heavy oil more often then dry lanes so im going to make my A game slow for heavy oil and PBA shots. I dont give it alot of forward roll though.
Well, my first question is how heavy is your equipment. If you're not throwing at least 15 pounds, it's probably time for an upgrade.

If your equipment is at least 15 pounds, then I'd imagine it's because you're trying to throw the ball too hard, even if it's subconsciously. Remember, your hand, arm, and shoulder are all one unit. Think of them all like a pendulum on a clock. The pendulum can only go so high. Let the ball NATURALLY drop down after your push away. Don't try to muscle the ball.

In addition, remember that the power doesn't come from the top of your swing, but at the bottom. Don't try to muscle the ball at the top of your swing. Then, at the bottom, let your fingers naturally rotate around the ball and lift with your hand (base of your fingers).

There's a common misconception in bowling that more speed equals more power. However, this couldn't be further from the truth. Remember that the bowling ball goes through three distinct phases when you roll it: skid, hook, and roll. Now, if you're throwing the ball 25 mph and your name isn't Tommy Jones or Jason Belmonte, you're probably pushing the ball way past the desired breakpoint. This means that the ball might not enter a roll at all and might simply stay in the hook phase when hitting the pins.

Contrary to popular belief, this is a very bad thing and actually causes a great deal of deflection, reducing your carry. The ball does NOT hook through the pins. In fact, the hardest hitting ball is the one that correctly balances when it leaves the hook phase and enters the roll phase.

You don't want the ball to roll too early and roll out. This, too, causes deflection. And you don't want the ball to never leave the hook phase, as this also causes deflection.

It's all about finding a happy medium in terms of your speed, revs, and axis tilt. Of course, all this happily cooperating with the oil pattern.

So remember, work on letting gravity do most of the work for you. Bowling isn't meant to be a strenuous sport. Don't make it one!

Good luck!
I am using 15 pounds (except my original cell, its 14, dont ask) and since i noticed this a few days ago, ive been trying to slow down. But when i throw it "slow" its still at 15 or 16. The other thing im confused about is my rev rate is around 400 rpms, which is why so confused about the bad carry.

Ebonite - Pin Slasher

House shot average - 227
High game - 300
Regarding carry... you did mention forward roll too, which is probably cutting your entry angle down and possibly causing the leave of 10 pins, maybe the 5 and 7 and 8 as well if you really are throwing it too hard.

As far as the source of the speed... have you been doing any kind of exercising or weight training? I started lifting some weights last year to strengthen and tone my arms and I started throwing it harder without really noticing it. Also... on your approach check how quickly you're moving your feet because if you're approaching the line faster, that's going to add some speed to your shot too.

I'd really try to get your speed back to where it was before. It's okay to have a faster spare ball speed than strike ball speed but if you were bowling well at your old ball speed, I don't see how the extra speed will be able to help you in any way.

---- Bag (Descending order of boards covered) ----

C300 Ego (Kept at 800 Grit to burn up floods)
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
C300 Perfect Rival
C300 Freeze (5.5 x 4 - Long and angular)
C300 Freeze (2.5 x 2.5 - Much smoother)
C300 Jazz
Hello Kitty Viz-A-Ball <3
Yeah, ive been trying to go back but it seems much harder than i thought it would be. The thing that gets me is that ive been bowling so good the past week or two, i think ive had two 279's and a lot of 260's, and then this happened and my carry went down the drain. It reminds me of what parker bohn said yesterday on king of bowling, he may have shot 260, but he bowled 190. It seems opposite for me, my accuracy seems to be better than ever, and for some reason ive been really focused and able to adjust and read the pattern very well, but my scores dont show it. And no, i havent been doing anything like lifting weights. Hopefully i can get this sorted out cause my PBA league starts wednesday.

Ebonite - Pin Slasher

House shot average - 227
High game - 300
« Last edit by Um....... on Fri May 22, 2009 2:01 am. »
I beg you to post a video.. I mentioned before i was up around 23+ but my accuracy was not the greatest. If i were accurate with it, i could destroy the lanes. But i wasnt accurate enough to keep it consistent. I think you should try realeasing the ball from the side for a couple games, and see how that does. For me, the speed carrys like a mack truck. ..... Another thought, what part of the lane are you trying to play? if your playing deep inside, that will cut your entry angle down too much with that speed... I play/played the track area... if your as dead on balls accurate as you say you are with it, you should be able to destroy everyone.
Its the forward roll that kills me. Corner pins have not been falling quite right lately, and its mainly flat 10's. But every time i move out it seems like its the same thing. And since this has happened, ive been playing around the track area.

Ebonite - Pin Slasher

House shot average - 227
High game - 300
Try throwing either a tad bit harder with the same line you always play when you leave the weak 10 to get the ball slightly lighter in the pocket and you will carry the 10 pin or slow it down a tad to get it higher flush in the pocket.
PBA Experiance League High Series:560 (201 169 190)
House League Avg:206
PBA Experiance League Ave:164
Arsenal:
Strom Garvity Shift 1500-Grit Polished
Brunswick Twisted Fury Resurfaced and Dulled 1000-grit wet sand for long patterns.
SpareBall: Brunswick Pepsi Viz (Polyester)
colton is gay wrote
I am using 15 pounds (except my original cell, its 14, dont ask) and since i noticed this a few days ago, ive been trying to slow down. But when i throw it "slow" its still at 15 or 16. The other thing im confused about is my rev rate is around 400 rpms, which is why so confused about the bad carry.
Ive always wonderd about that too becase my rev is also around 400 and i leave weak 10's occassionaly dispite my Storm Gravity Shifts Violent turn but I usually get the messanger but it doesn't always hit it. Im only throwing 16-17 MPH.
PBA Experiance League High Series:560 (201 169 190)
House League Avg:206
PBA Experiance League Ave:164
Arsenal:
Strom Garvity Shift 1500-Grit Polished
Brunswick Twisted Fury Resurfaced and Dulled 1000-grit wet sand for long patterns.
SpareBall: Brunswick Pepsi Viz (Polyester)
try cup ur wrist at the bottom and unsnap it.. that will decrease ball speed and increase hook. this will increase pin carry to.

Page: 1

Bowling Evolution Forum - Bowling - Bad Habits and Carry Problems

Bowling Evolution Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software