Bowling Evolution Forum

Bowling Evolution Forum - Development - 1.08beta Feedback Thread

1.08beta Feedback Thread

Page: < 1 2

Author Post
well, I'm pretty sure that the physics in the game come from the game engine used. the Irrlicht engine has pretty good physics like you have all been saying. It is an open source engine so the devs here can modify it. but in general, if any of you have written a physics engine in c++, it is extremely difficult to make it efficient so it runs smoothly. The could probably make an extremely accurate physics engine but it would require a lot more memory and could make it run choppy.

I feel that 1.08 is amazing and even though there are some stuff in it, you can avoid it. 14 or a 15 pound ball thrown like you normally would throw it works out great lol
they should add revs up to 700 rpm, cuz that's like the highest rev ret ever )Robert Smith)
Hammer Cherry Vibe
Columbia 300 Full Swing
Hammer Raw Burn
Ebonite Magic Touch

High Game- 247 (League, 9 strikes in a row) 246(Travel League) High Series- 655 (Practice) 630 (League)
High Notap Game - 300, High notap series- 840 something 8-pin lol

AVERAGES:

149 - Saturday Morning League
153?- Sunday Travel League
I have not played the game yet but I think that we need new pin sounds.
yeah, those pin sounds suck, i agree, I will try to get some real ones next week at my league, my coach lets us go down to the end of the lane on the last lane, so i could record the sound, and make it quieter
Hammer Cherry Vibe
Columbia 300 Full Swing
Hammer Raw Burn
Ebonite Magic Touch

High Game- 247 (League, 9 strikes in a row) 246(Travel League) High Series- 655 (Practice) 630 (League)

AVERAGES:

Scoreking 81 wrote
yeah, those pin sounds suck, i agree, I will try to get some real ones next week at my league, my coach lets us go down to the end of the lane on the last lane, so i could record the sound, and make it quieter

We would really appreciate that! Yes, sounds are quite terrible at the moment.
darkhazard wrote
well, I'm pretty sure that the physics in the game come from the game engine used. the Irrlicht engine has pretty good physics like you have all been saying.

We use Irrlicht as a graphics engine and ODE for physics simulation.
« Last edit by vankis on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:00 pm. »
Way to many splits also it repeats alot I keep getting the 4 7 and 4 5 on good hits. Also like somebody said if the pins stand up in the back it add pins to the rack. The best bowling game was Brunswitck Cercuit bowl the pin physics were excellent it's to bad it came out in 1998 and it only runs up to windows 98. The pin action was excellent and it had a true sound like the real bowling alley has. Also it was easiler to hook the ball where I am still tying to do this with this your game.
Here's what I have to say: 1.08 is DEFINITELY an improvement over 1.07. However, it being the beta, it's pretty obvious that there would be some bugs.

My main problem is that there is NO DEFLECTION AT ALL on heavy balls. I leave the 9 pin on a perfect shot 9 out of 10 times, and the other time the pin bounces off the wall and hits the 9. I mean, the ball actually hits as if it weighed about 200 lbs or something.

My only other problem is that the 4-10 gets left on almost every swish hit. It's like there's no deflection when you need deflection, and deflection when you don't want it.

Tomi and Vesa, if you can fix these issues, the game (in my opinion) will be ALMOST PERFECT.
My stuff: Hammer Emerald Vibe, Hammer Black Widow Solid, Columbia 300 White Dot
Hey developers and others. New to the website as I just registered but have been playing BE since version 1.06. A couple things I noticed while playing the test version 1.082beta was...

1) Like someone already said the pin action is way better but when they get smashed they fly out of the back and into the lanes next to them. This needs to be fixed so there can be some real pin action via messengers and such. I rarely see the head pin take out the ten pin.

2) The channels seem way to high. Almost everytime in the pocket the six pin, when trying to trip the ten, gets stuck in the ditch and creates a somewhat weak tenpin.

3) The ball deflection is non-existent and heavier weights as previously said causing very strange either 4 10 splits for the righties in the pocket or 6 7 splits for the lefties in the pocket.

4) And just as an added innovation to the game I would like to see, let me know what you guys think of this, a re-rack feature. Where if by chance a glitch pops up, which can happen even with the biggest and best video games, where you strike and then only a 4 pin reappears or something on the next supposed to be full rack you can just press q or z or something to re-rack without affecting you score.

5) And something cool I also thought of, sorry I know this is a feedback thread, but I thought this as feedback to make the game more difficult and not as perfectly easy. If you made the pin setting dynamic. Where as in real life, the pins aren't always set perfectly and takes a real good eye to tell if any are off an inch or so. That way you can implement the re-rack feature. Just a thought. But way way way way way way better this time guys. Really like what you have done and even if the 1.08 stays like it is now. KUDOS!!!
Hi cyler and welcome to the forum. Nice feedback, here's my thought on some of it.

4) While getting such a glitch in a good game is very annoying I still don't think it's a good idea for online play since it can be exploited to get better scores. It could work though if you can't submit your score online if you used the re-rack. That way you can finish the game for local high scores only if you want to.

5) Wouldn't that be just as annoying as getting a glitch (se previous point 4) in the middle of a good game? And if you can easily spot the error and make a re-rack it's kind of a waste of time that just get frustrating after a while.
The worst as far as physics go is ball deflection and weight characteristics.
1) !6 pound balls hit like thousand pounders
2) on slightly light pocket hits, I leave constant 2-4-10 splits, i swear i have left at least 2 every game.
3) 12 pound balls don't deflect enough, Ball deflection must be fixed in the final build,
4) u should also be able to rev the ball up to 650 rpm at least.
5) Add shots where u can bowl the ball right on the foul line for more smooth releases like chris barnes
6) add shots where u can take short steps and lob the ball on the foul line
Hammer Cherry Vibe
Columbia 300 Full Swing
Hammer Raw Burn
Ebonite Magic Touch

AVERAGES:

vankis wrote
Hi cyler and welcome to the forum. Nice feedback, here's my thought on some of it.

4) While getting such a glitch in a good game is very annoying I still don't think it's a good idea for online play since it can be exploited to get better scores. It could work though if you can't submit your score online if you used the re-rack. That way you can finish the game for local high scores only if you want to.

5) Wouldn't that be just as annoying as getting a glitch (se previous point 4) in the middle of a good game? And if you can easily spot the error and make a re-rack it's kind of a waste of time that just get frustrating after a while.

Point well taken, maybe I was looking to make the game a little too realistic. And I could see how it would get annoying to have pins set wrong occasionally, I mean isnt that why we play the game and not just go bowling so we dont have to put up with those little idiosyncrasies. But I'm definitely looking forward to the final product and know that a game such as this is always a work in progress.
everyone is trying to rev the ball as much as you can. that the wrong idea. let the ball get into a roll before hitting the pins and its more like the real thing. (wrap tens blow out 7-10's messengers) consistent. i had lots of trouble getting the ball to react the same with full revs. cut that down to half or so in forward and side roll and just watch the similarities of the real thing. trust me. i went from 130's+ to 190's+. better more consistent carry and more life like reactions. i found out also that the more the ball rolls more evenly the better the carry is at the pin deck as well. so in turn i designed balls that hook earlier rather than so late. huge difference. i get away with a lot more misses left and right of my target. hope this helps any of you BE enthusiasts.

Creditials :

REAL LIFE STATS:

In my bag
(Really to many to name, like 23 or so.)

Best Series 869 April 29th, 2004 (300-300-269)
300's ( 18 )
800's (6) 869, 835, 834, 805, 802, 800

Don't believe me? check it out for yourself.
http://members.bowl.com/SearchUSBC/ViewMember.aspx?prefix=719&suffix=6926

Good luck everyone! Keep BE going!
Scoreking 81 wrote
they should add revs up to 700 rpm, cuz that's like the highest rev ret ever )Robert Smith)

Yes, but they should make it so that there are a few levels of limit for revs; cranker, tweener, stroker, etc.

When you throw lower hook and rev the ball reacts so unrealistically.

BTW the Irrlicht Engine only has a rudimentary physics engine, and it's mainly a graphics engine. The devs used ODE physics engine for physics.
Scoreking 81 wrote

or 1200Rpm for testing cuz thats what throwbots max rev is.
Lane Hawk slot machine (its 14lb so i dont use it)

High game:1 game 279
3 games 680
4 games 916
Average : 180,5

Arguing over the internet is like competing in the paralympics. Even if you win, you are still retarded
Hello, based upon comments in this thread, here is what we have done after 1.08beta5:

- player can now move around in a wider area
- added more ball deflection
- added more max revs
for beta 5 there is no ball tab under config... therefore i cant make balls

High League Game: 300.. youngest in nj look it up http://www.njbowling.com/kennyryan.htm

High Series: 817(300 233 284)

High Game:300(x7)

JBT Titles: 9(all this season)

League Average: 217

High School Average: 238(new state record)

JBT Average: 224

Arsenal:

Storm Hy-Road
Storm Virtual Gravity
Storm Invasion
Storm Dimension
Storm Natural
Storm Furious
Storm Reign
Storm Prodigy
Storm Reign Supreme
Storm Special Agent
Roto Grip Cell Pearl
Tomi wrote
- added more ball deflection
- added more max revs

Great, but still not everyone wants to throw a cranker, so I think it would be great if there were 3-4 levels of rev and power limits.
stormguy101 wrote
for beta 5 there is no ball tab under config... therefore i cant make balls

for that version you don't go to config you just go to balls and you should have a list of all the balls that are in the game as default.. then open it using wordpad and you can see the stats.

To make a ball, copy one of those files, open it, and change all the stats for the ball you want. make sure you change the name of the texture too :) .... Of course making a texture you use the same routine as 1.07
hope this helps
Is there any way you can make the oil break down and maybe have a function button to show the oil and its break down?
bowler320 wrote
Is there any way you can make the oil break down and maybe have a function button to show the oil and its break down?

Oil already breaks down, but to me a little too fast.

Showing the oil's break down is kinda cheating because you can't do that in real life unless the oil glows under UV light for Glow Bowling (Cosmic, Xtreme, whatever).
Mario wrote
bowler320 wrote

Oil already breaks down, but to me a little too fast.

Showing the oil's break down is kinda cheating because you can't do that in real life unless the oil glows under UV light for Glow Bowling (Cosmic, Xtreme, whatever).

That is true... I find that by like the 3rd frame there is carry down.
Tome, idk about you guys but the lanes dont break down to me... They carry down. My ball comes in less after about 3 throws.

high series: 792 ( 244, 280, 268 )
high games-300! (01/31/09 I was 15) 278(3 times), 279(18 times)

My Gear-
Hammer: BW Sting
Ebonite: Evolve
Ebonite: Bash
Ebonite: Total Nv
Ebonite: Raid
Ebonite: Striking Motion
Ebonite: Playmaker
Ebonite: Maxim Capt Fireball
Locking BE 1.08 beta threads, start a new topic for 1.08 official feedback.

Page: < 1 2

Bowling Evolution Forum - Development - 1.08beta Feedback Thread

Bowling Evolution Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software