Bowling Evolution Forum

Bowling Evolution Forum - Development - New Version?

New Version?

Page: < 1 2

Author Post
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll release a new version soon (probably tomorrow).

If you want to test-drive 2.1 beta-version, here is dowload link: http://www.bowlingevolution.com/downloads/BowlingEvolution-2_1-beta.exe

Changes from BE 2.0:
* less ball deflection and increased pin reactions a bit.
* camera angle is not changed in aiming mode.
* pin sweeper texture bug fixed
* game runs smoother on older machines (that don't support hardware accelerated anisotropic filtering) if anti-aliasing is disabled from game settings
* changed color of chat-messages
Version 2.1 final is released.
BowlingRoss wrote
only problem is if I load old alleys they'll appear in a mess and render unbowlable

This issue appeared when the newest version of Irrlicht 3d engine was taken to use in BE 2.0. I was able to get the old levels working by opening them in DeleD 3d editor, re-generating lightmaps for the entire scene and saving. Lightmaps in the old version of BE City Bowling Hall will not be nice if you do this though and so you probably need to adjust the lighting as well (remove directional lights and add some point lights).

I think the easiest way to get the old customized halls back would be to re-apply the custom textures to the new version of BE City Bowling Hall where I've already performed the operation described above.

The new halls -- beach and brisbane -- are more customization friendly than BE City Bowling Hall. In these halls lane and approach area are both covered with one texture and the bowling text above the lane is centered. Thus they are easy to modify just by changing textures, no tweaking with DeleD needed...
this new version is great! I think it's the most realistic physics since 1.05. No more solid 9s! (well, I've only played the free version's bowling balls but it used to give me a lot of solid 9s since 1.08)

now there's a lot of ringing 10 pins though... I also hooked lefty and often leave ringing 7.

another thing I've noticed in this and some other recent versions is the sound. The ball makes a "pin hit" sound when it falls into the pit. It should be a different sound.

I wonder if any of the older members like Vankis and Rodney are still here.

A new idea - make a Bowling Evolution game for iOS and Android :D

I've been trying out many bowling games on iOS and most aren't very good at all.
« Last edit by Mario on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 am. »
very much here! (:
My house pattern average: 220
My high game: 300 on a house pattern , 279 on a sport shot
hmm the game runs very well on my 6 year old PC (with a 4 year old ATI 4650) but I guess I can't multitask as much as I used to in this version.

Hmm, wallshots happens to me every now and then but the 7 pin always falls pretty late (I hook lefty). Maybe it's because I hook lefty it's more likely to happen, I remember watching some p-league and women's bowling and they often get wall shots. however I think if you add z-spin it SHOULD increase the chances of wall-shot but it seems to me it actually decreases it (Pete Weber has a little bit of spinner rotation in his release hence he gets a lot of wall shots and high-flush strikes).

It appears you have to hit deep into the pocket or high flush for a good strike (which looks very realistic) but otherwise I leave ringing corner pins.
any updates on the mac version? still waiting for it....
hmm here's some replays on things that need to be improved

the main problem I find is the pins fly sideways too much, it is so easy to chop washouts and stuff the headpin just chops.
https://www.box.com/s/547f2a12912d9b0d223b
also a "wallshot" with spinner rotation. In this case the ball does still hit the 5 pin a little and the pins fly around.

There could be a bit more pin deflection. Solid 8 (solid 9 for lefty) is a fairly common leave (though it looks realistic in that the 5 pin is not hit by the ball and chops through)
guffnuh: I investigated possibilities to make a mac port of BE yesterday. I'm trying out making a mac wrapper with Wineskin. We will soon find out how it turns out :)

MasterTech: I'm sorry to hear about the poor performance. Most likely it is related to your 3d card / video driver. You can try to update your driver and disable antialiasing in BE. It may also be the bigger and nicer light maps that we have used in our new levels, in which case it might be hard to fix....
Good news regarding the mac port. I just played today's thursday league in OS-X with my macbook pro. I think we should be able to get a mac port out next week!! :)

Downside with using wrapper is that the package will be quite large. But its much better than nothing ;)
I downloaded the mac version and I'm having a problem. Every time I open it it says it has encountered a problem and must close. Any reason why this may be happening?
Tomi wrote
Good news regarding the mac port. I just played today's thursday league in OS-X with my macbook pro. I think we should be able to get a mac port out next week!! :)

Downside with using wrapper is that the package will be quite large. But its much better than nothing ;)
Sorry to hear... altough I kind of expected this to happen. We are using Wineskin wrapper as a runtime environment for the game in Mac OS X. Apparently in some hardware and OS version configurations the wrapper works with the game as I set it up but in some others it doesn't.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you want, we can try to find a solution for your configuration -- it is easy to change the wrapper configuration. On a genera level the wrapper supports OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Wrapper configuration can be changed like this:

1. right mouse click on the BowlingEvolutionWrapper
2. select Show Package Contents
3. launch Wineskin from the package root directory
4. make changes (details below)

When ever you have made a new configuration to try, you should try to re-launch BowlingEvolutionWrapper from Wineskin by pressing "Test Run" button. Test Run can be found from the Advanced menu in Wineskin. This way you'll get the log output which gives good hints on what might be the problem.

First I'd try different screen options. Click set screen options when you have started Wineskin. Some things to try...

* try fullscreen vs Rootless
* try Normal windows vs Virtual Desktop
* try wine Automatic settings vs Override

Next you need to go to "Advanced" section. Here are some things I'd try:

* Use Start.exe (configuration tab)
* Try different settings from Winetricks (tools tab -> Winetricks -> settings)

More hints to get the Wineskin wrapper work perfectly can be found from the Wineskin web site:

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com

My hardware is: Macbook Pro 3,1
My Operating system is: Mac OS X 10.6.8

And of course it would be good to post what you needed to change, if you get it working... ;)
unfortunately none of those things fixed the problem :/
Tomi wrote
Sorry to hear... altough I kind of expected this to happen. We are using Wineskin wrapper as a runtime environment for the game in Mac OS X. Apparently in some hardware and OS version configurations the wrapper works with the game as I set it up but in some others it doesn't.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you want, we can try to find a solution for your configuration -- it is easy to change the wrapper configuration. On a genera level the wrapper supports OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Wrapper configuration can be changed like this:

1. right mouse click on the BowlingEvolutionWrapper
2. select Show Package Contents
3. launch Wineskin from the package root directory
4. make changes (details below)

When ever you have made a new configuration to try, you should try to re-launch BowlingEvolutionWrapper from Wineskin by pressing "Test Run" button. Test Run can be found from the Advanced menu in Wineskin. This way you'll get the log output which gives good hints on what might be the problem.

First I'd try different screen options. Click set screen options when you have started Wineskin. Some things to try...

* try fullscreen vs Rootless
* try Normal windows vs Virtual Desktop
* try wine Automatic settings vs Override

Next you need to go to "Advanced" section. Here are some things I'd try:

* Use Start.exe (configuration tab)
* Try different settings from Winetricks (tools tab -> Winetricks -> settings)

More hints to get the Wineskin wrapper work perfectly can be found from the Wineskin web site:

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com

My hardware is: Macbook Pro 3,1
My Operating system is: Mac OS X 10.6.8

And of course it would be good to post what you needed to change, if you get it working... ;)
I wish the sidewalls werent cut at such steep angles. Throwing lefty I see a lot of pins flying over the said walls and i lose pin-action as a result.
High Series 684 (241, 210, 233) *spareball only

My aresenal:
DV8 Marauder!!! :twisted:
Brunswick Copperhead
Brunswick Swarm
Brunswick Sidewinder
Brunswick Avalanche
Ebonite Maxim Captain Midnight *(spareball)
Tomi wrote
BowlingRoss wrote
only problem is if I load old alleys they'll appear in a mess and render unbowlable

This issue appeared when the newest version of Irrlicht 3d engine was taken to use in BE 2.0. I was able to get the old levels working by opening them in DeleD 3d editor, re-generating lightmaps for the entire scene and saving. Lightmaps in the old version of BE City Bowling Hall will not be nice if you do this though and so you probably need to adjust the lighting as well (remove directional lights and add some point lights).

I think the easiest way to get the old customized halls back would be to re-apply the custom textures to the new version of BE City Bowling Hall where I've already performed the operation described above.

The new halls -- beach and brisbane -- are more customization friendly than BE City Bowling Hall. In these halls lane and approach area are both covered with one texture and the bowling text above the lane is centered. Thus they are easy to modify just by changing textures, no tweaking with DeleD needed...

Actually Tomi, I used to mod templates made by other ppl into alleys. So the BE trick (I tried it) kinda lost the custom feel. I would like to mod the beach level, but there is something not fit for an alley placed rather than at a beach. My main point is: anyway to make old alleys compatible again? Thanks a lot! :D
------------------------
Arsenal:
Strike Balls
Brunswick Blast Zone
Brunswick Fury
Ebonite Total NV
Storm Attitude Shift
and a lot more....
Spare Balls
Viz-A-Ball Tweety
Viz-A-Ball Smiley
--------------------------------
Most Unbelievable Score:208(With the Front 5)
---------------------------------------------
PLEASE DO NOT POST OFFENDING COMMENTS. :D

Page: < 1 2

Bowling Evolution Forum - Development - New Version?

Bowling Evolution Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software