Bowling Evolution Forum

Bowling Evolution Forum - Development - Our New Bowling Game / ALPHA Thread

Our New Bowling Game / ALPHA Thread

Page: 1

Author Post
Hi, as some of you already know, we are developing a new bowling game for all major PC and mobile platforms. We'll be releasing to PCs (Windows and OS-X) first and will continue with Mobile (Android and iOS).

Currently we have an early Alpha version available for PCs and it would be great if you people would try it out and give us your feedback about it here!

Please note that early alpha builds lack many features of the final game, as well as final polish. They might also require more processing power and can have quite a few bugs -- but they should still be SERIOUSLY fun to play with! ;)

** RELEASE PLAN **

Release plan gives an idea where we are at the moment and what we are aiming for. It is updated continuously and available here.

** KNOWN BUGS **

List of known bugs is also updated continuously and it is here.

We'll make a separate post to this thread for each alpha release so that it's easy follow up our progress. Looking forward to your feedback! :)
« Last edit by Tomi on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:13 pm. »
*** Alpha Release 1 -- Game Build 0.1.0 ***

Main Features:

- Highly tuned physics with lane oil pattern and ball oil carry
- Underground bowling lane, 11 bowling balls
- Single player game with coin fees and coin earnings (very much alpha!)
- Two realtime multiplayer modes: "1vs1" and "practice and chat with others"
- Weekly World Highscore list, scores from all game modes included

In game help not implemented yet, so you'll need to know this to play:

- move to throw position with mouse right pressed, arrow keys or WSAD
- set spin with mouse left pressed at the beginning of throw
- start running by releasing mouse left
- throw the ball by clicking mouse left, correct timing is when you see 1 bold crosshair

- Start writing to online chat by pressing Y
- Change ball by pressing B

Downloads:

- 32Bit Windows build in a zip archive: here.
- 64Bit OS X build in a zip archive: here.

Extract manually and start playing. We hope you'll like it. There's probably not many players online yet so you could try with friends instead!

Please let us know what you think, as well as any ideas you have! Cheers! :shock:
« Last edit by Tomi on Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:13 pm. »
Hi Tomi, I can't seem to access the download links.

EDIT: Never mid but it takes some time... Here's a list of points.

It seems really nice overall, but the biggest problem I have is that the aiming system isn't very accurate - the ball is always released slightly off. Aiming at the pins makes things a bit more consistent, but I'm sure most people preferred to aim at the arrows in BE. It seems where you aim is not directly correlated to where the ball will be projected, especially when you aim too close to the arrows.

1. Physics are decent, 7.5/10. The pins fall quickly and not sluggish or floaty. If the ball hits the pocket the pins react nicely with considerable rebound off the side walls, but most strikes seem to be "wall-shots" which are a matter of luck. Sometimes if the ball just grazes a pin, the pin either doesn't fall, or falls very unrealistically. Instead of "flopping" to the other side, the bottom of the pin pushes out and flops the wrong way. I also noticed a lot of "forward rebound" of the pins - it should be less common.

This is how it should be on a week hit "o" as the ball and the "/" as a pin:
o/

2. I would really like those camera views back from BE, or at least a pin-deck indicator. It can be hard seeing where the 2-8 or 3-9 spares (sleeper) are. The pins look kinda funny-looking at a distance, so I can't tell if they're the wrong shape or not.

3. Would like to see vertical axis rotation on the ball as well, although in the last BE version it wasn't as essential (plus most pro bowlers don't have a spinner rotation; Pete Weber and Parker Bohn III to a small extent). I'm not getting enough ball deflection with the lighter balls either. The infamous solid 9 only appears with the big hook ball. It would be great if rotation could be better controlled, I keep "jumping" my mouse to get the ball to maximum revs, though with the electric ball I can hear how much hook is being added. I thought the electric ball was funny but a bit annoying though - would like to see a normal ball with the same specifications.
« Last edit by Mario on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:39 am. »
Thanks Mario!

1. We'll look more into this "light pin hit" behaviour. Actually we are using a physical hack to avoid some unrealistic pin behaviour and I can imagine this hack causing this.

2. Camera management will be improved in Alpha 2, release plan is here. Pin status indicator will be implemented in Alpha 2 or later.

3. Vertical axis rotation could become marginally used feature and it would make throwing (especially instructions) more complicated and the game harder to approach. We'll think about it...

Deflection issue also noted. Thanks for the feedback! :)
one more thing and it may be related to the pin-hit issue - the ball passes through adjacent pins (eg a mini-split 2-3, 4-5, 5-6 etc.). You can pick up baby-split (2-7,3-10) by going between them though.
*** Alpha Release 2 -- Game Build 0.1.1 ***

Alpha 2 is ready for you to try!! New features:

- Camera angles, ball follow camera
- Pinsetter and bar
- Slow motion for analyzing physics behaviour better

Changes, improvements and fixes:

- New sounds
- Various changes in physics based on feedback from Alpha 1
- Crosshair accuracy improved as it was considered too inaccurate
- Fixes to 10 major bugs from alpha participants, details in the list of known bugs here.
- Improvements here and there, nicer scorecard behaviour, etc..

In game help not implemented yet, so you'll need to know this to play:

- move to throw position with mouse right pressed, arrow keys or WSAD
- set spin with mouse left pressed at the beginning of throw
- start running by releasing mouse left
- throw the ball by clicking mouse left, correct timing is when crosshair has minimal size

- Start writing to online chat by pressing Y
- Change ball by pressing B
- Change camera by pressing C
- Slow motion control:
x keypad 5 = 50% speed
x keypad 1 = 10% speed
x keypad 0 = normal speed

Downloads:

- 32Bit Windows build in a zip archive: here.
- 64Bit OS X build in a zip archive: here.

Extract manually and start playing. We hope you'll like it. There's probably not many players online yet so you could try with friends instead!

Please let us know what you think, as well as any ideas you want to share! :shock:
« Last edit by Tomi on Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:24 pm. »
It's a bit confusing in this version as I don't know how small the crosshair should be. It is more accurate here though, but it would be nice if there was an indication of when the crosshair is at its smallest, like turning it green or something when the timing is correct. It just seems to me that the ball is not always released at the point indicated by the crosshair, even when the timing seems correct - not as much as in Bowling Evolution. The walking movement seems a bit too unstable compared to BE as well (it seems the bowler walks up and down, and you can actually throw a huge arcing loft).

New camera views are great, though it would be better if the camera view cuts after the ball starts hooking - this is a common problem with bowling games that use a multi-cam view (Brunswick Circuit Pro being another example)

Physics are great but I noticed some pins still fly forward (often the pin sweeper "chokes" on them which is funny to watch). I would say "kinetically" the physics are great (they fly around with a good amount of speed), and they react very well when the ball hits flush into the pocket. but the pin movement is funky if the ball does not hit the pocket perfectly. The half-pin hit bug still happens and I don't think the pins slide around enough to pick up splits, they simply flop to the side. Using the slowmotion button it seems the pin goes through a pin if it hits it too lightly. Pins that are half-hit are sometimes counted as hit, which shouldn't be the case. Additionally, the sweep bar tends to sweep away half-hit pins, whether they are counted as hit or not.

Hope some other users can respond, this forum seems pretty dead nowadays
« Last edit by Mario on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:37 am. »
- After constant ragequitting through hundreds of games, I finally bowled a 300. I still think the crosshair needs to be more accurate - the ball is usually released slightly to the right of the crosshair. The problem is 1. it's hard to know where the player is standing and 2. sometimes it seems the ball is lofted more than normal even though timing is correct.

In terms of ball weight and deflection I think the ball hits as it should but lighter balls don't deflect as much. I think the 12 pound ball hits more like 14 pounds (which is nice though). The pins seem to be too light and easily fall when a messenger taps it.

It would be nice if we can save replays as well.

It also seems to me as if it doesn't always submit my high score. My 300 showed up as shown here but after playing again I don't see it.

User posted image
« Last edit by Mario on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:20 am. »
Any updates on the game? The online server doesn't work anymore.
Hi Mario. i was just wondering if your able to configure the beta with a function to choose left and right handed bowlers. as you play the game the ball seems to sit on the right of screen as if your a right hander. and as i say this i am a left handed bowler and i think it would be good if you can choose what hand it'll make it easier for us all.
No i don't think you can, I'm also left-handed so in the game I just hook the ball as it would be left handed. The ball is released to the right but I got used to it - it says in the Dev's changelog they improved throwing for the next version, but there hasn't been any news since and the servers don't work anymore..

When new update coming out :)?
Cant seem to get it to download the right way.

High League Game: 300.. youngest in nj look it up http://www.njbowling.com/kennyryan.htm

High Series: 817(300 233 284)

High Game:300(x7)

JBT Titles: 9(all this season)

League Average: 217

High School Average: 238(new state record)

JBT Average: 224

Arsenal:

Storm Hy-Road
Storm Virtual Gravity
Storm Invasion
Storm Dimension
Storm Natural
Storm Furious
Storm Reign
Storm Prodigy
Storm Reign Supreme
Storm Special Agent
Roto Grip Cell Pearl
Here's some feedback:

The graphics are an improvement, and that's about it. Everything else felt like a huge downgrade from BE.

Why is the ball being released a good 5 boards to the right of crosshairs?Why do I have to pan down directly to the ground in order for my ball not to be lofted 20-30 feet? What's with all the swaying on the approach? I feel like I'm waltzing toward the lane instead of walking.

Also, has nobody ever told you that oil gets soaked up by modern bowling balls? Therefore causing the ball to hook more over time.. It's like every bowling ball in both BE and this alpha is a polyester.. which isn't realistic.

I'm not sure why you would put this out when BE is already a better starting point for further development..

Average: N/A (Haven't bowled league in a few years)

High game: 279

High Series: 694

Equipment: Brunswick Absolute Nirvana, Radical Ridiculous, Brunswick C System 2.5, Hammer Cherry Vibe.
I'm getting Gutterball vibes from this, and from the masters that developed BE this is not a good sign.

Balls unpredictable, pin physics wonky.
------------------------
Arsenal:
Strike Balls
Brunswick Blast Zone
Brunswick Fury
Ebonite Total NV
Storm Attitude Shift
and a lot more....
Spare Balls
Viz-A-Ball Tweety
Viz-A-Ball Smiley
--------------------------------
Most Unbelievable Score:208(With the Front 5)
---------------------------------------------
PLEASE DO NOT POST OFFENDING COMMENTS. :D
TheAceCo wrote
Here's some feedback:

The graphics are an improvement, and that's about it. Everything else felt like a huge downgrade from BE.

Why is the ball being released a good 5 boards to the right of crosshairs?Why do I have to pan down directly to the ground in order for my ball not to be lofted 20-30 feet? What's with all the swaying on the approach? I feel like I'm waltzing toward the lane instead of walking.

Also, has nobody ever told you that oil gets soaked up by modern bowling balls? Therefore causing the ball to hook more over time.. It's like every bowling ball in both BE and this alpha is a polyester.. which isn't realistic.

I'm not sure why you would put this out when BE is already a better starting point for further development..

BE is probably the only bowling game where oil accumulates on the surface of the ball, but there's no way to clean it so the ball will hook less after a few throws. It would be nice if the ball could actually absorb the oil though.

I would say the kinetics of the pin physics in this new game is pretty good. They fly around with fairly realistic speed and it's good to see the sidewalls are pretty bouncy, but they often too forward and get chopped by the sweep bar. When the ball hits the pocket they react very wellbut when the ball hits them slightly they don't react realistically at all. At least the pins don't do the "ballet twirl" where they twirl upon their axis (Gutterball 2, PBA Bowling Challenge and Bowling Evolution 1.06-1.07 all have this problem) The pins seem too light but don't float around like BE 2.0.

I think BE 1.05 and 1.06beta still have the best pin physics but the ball rolls too slow and with too few revs. The oil doesn't wear down either and there were easy lines to throw - just about everyone got 300.

@BowlingRoss I do get a bit of a casual vibe from this game but if the physics are improved it it isn't necessarily a bad thing. Wii Sports Resort and a few mobile bowling games are more casual but have pretty good physics for example. The atmosphere of the game reminded me a bit of Friday Night 3D Bowling which was released in 2004 and had pretty decent graphics at the time but the physics were mediocre.
@Mario Great points you brought up. Three games introduced me to Bowling on PC: Gutterball 3D, Gutterball 2, and Polar Bowler. That was a time where I hauled my first non-House at my local Brunswick house and was super hyped.
Endless nights where I will throw 300s with maxed-out bowling balls on the Retro alley on Gutterball 2.

The ballet twirl point you put up, I couldn't agree more. By no means the pin physics were bad, Skunk stepped up and rectified the "deadwood" situation on the OG and introduced more lively action.

That said, the gameplay on this is too much like the "drag-and-cast-45-feet" thing like in Gutterball 2. But this is not one I can drag and control, nor will I be able to predict the path of the ball on release. I know it's an alpha, but with BE you get a sense of precision, a sense of trust that it can replicate a real delivery in an actual house.

For a game that is setting up to be the successor to BE, this is a very unsubstantial demo for what is next. 2.1 is near perfect IMO for physics, so there's no need to change that.

I fail to understand the concept of what this game is setting out to be.
A BE upgrade with a nicer packaging? Will it be Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling, or will it be Concrete's PBA Bowling Challenge? Or is it like the Sims and PS Home, where there's a full environment for us to be immersed in, complete with shoe rental and pro shops (this might actually be pretty damn cool)?

I'm still excited for this game's future and its features once the project hits its fruition point, but for now it is not a game I would enjoy.

PS: Mods please help me. I'm on a Mac and BE 2.1 refuses to install nor launch on my machine. I sent you guys a feedback email complete with the log of the crash. I want to get back on 2.1 ASAP. Thanks!
------------------------
Arsenal:
Strike Balls
Brunswick Blast Zone
Brunswick Fury
Ebonite Total NV
Storm Attitude Shift
and a lot more....
Spare Balls
Viz-A-Ball Tweety
Viz-A-Ball Smiley
--------------------------------
Most Unbelievable Score:208(With the Front 5)
---------------------------------------------
PLEASE DO NOT POST OFFENDING COMMENTS. :D
Any news on this game? One thing I noticed is that ball speed doesn't have much impact on how much the ball hooks unless it's going REALLY slow, and the ball seems to hook more if I press the slow motion keys.

Here's a video of a 300 game. I shot 298 right before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Q2RthTewQ

Page: 1

Bowling Evolution Forum - Development - Our New Bowling Game / ALPHA Thread

Bowling Evolution Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software