Bowling Evolution Forum

Bowling Evolution Forum - Bowling - Questions, questions, QUESTIONS! Questions...

Questions, questions, QUESTIONS! Questions...

Page: « < ... 13 14 15 16 17

Author Post
So besides what we've discussed above, are there any other changes you'd like to see me make (gonna be headed up to the lanes soon)?

In addition, I've got two rather large tournaments coming up in consecutive weekends. Do you think it a good idea to implement these changes during the tourneys?

Finally, where would YOU rate me on your speed/revs numbering system?
« Last edit by TheKorean2908 on Sun May 30, 2010 6:50 pm. »
We should totally sticky another thread called "Stew, please critique my bowling style" so he can tear us apart :D

I need it for sure.

---- Bag (Descending order of boards covered) ----

C300 Ego (Kept at 800 Grit to burn up floods)
Roto Grip Rogue Cell
C300 Perfect Rival
C300 Freeze (5.5 x 4 - Long and angular)
C300 Freeze (2.5 x 2.5 - Much smoother)
C300 Jazz
Hello Kitty Viz-A-Ball <3
TheKorean2908

Besides completely overhauling your approach, and fighting a natural dip at your release?

You could get a new kidney, and possibly cure cancer.

I would be against making changes before any big tourney if there's money on the line... Stick with what you know until you have a good, long stretch (at the very least 2 weeks) to really implement serious changes.

I'd rate you a low 2. Maybe 2.2. You've got good speed, but definitely a rev-dom, not so much so that everything goes left to Albuquerque. You can still use some strong stuff, but you need to be careful with your layouts so you're not going Brooklyn all day.

rensu

It's CONSTRUCTIVE tearing apart.

It's what I do... I coach, I teach, I impart of the knowledge I hold. If someone wishes a full critique. I oblige.

Just link me to the vid you wish torn... I MEAN constructively commented upon.
Should I work on upping the ball speed? Or do you think that changing my approach/footwork will naturally up the ball speed for me?

And also, do you think I should wait on the Red/Black Bash until I make these changes?
TheKorean2908

Honestly? No... Just getting the cadence right for your footwork would be enough. Once that's in check, you could easily start altering your speed with just ball position and where you start on the approach.

It's up to you... If you have a slot in your bag for a very direct, and smooth ball, then I'd say grab it while you can. It is a discon.

Changing your footwork doesn't effect your PAP as much as messing with your swing and hand position. Your equipment will most likely react the same, but your accuracy and repeats will go up considerably due to the more consistent and solid base you'll have.
hey s2dio!

I'm going to participate a tournament in Istanbul again and need some advises on ball selection and about the oil pattern.

http://www.kegel.net/patternlibrary/foPattern.asp?iKodPattern=714&bScreen=2&bType=0&iKodMachine=0&iKodConditioner=0&iKodLane=0

This is the oil pattern, i currently have a Rogue Cell which is drilled not too much aggressive but gives a nice turn at the backend, also got a 2nd Dimension which makes a sharper hook then my Rogue Cell.

Also got a lanebreaker (drilled to hook early much like an arc) but i don't think im going to use it on this pattern.

Also if you have another ball and drill advise im also open for them, i might buy another ball for this tournament.

Thanks for your help :)

Roto Grip - Rogue Cell
Storm - Second Dimension
Ebonite - Lanebreaker
Columbia 300 - Scout Reactive
AMF - Nighthawk Pearl
Roto Grip - Crown

Soon to buy : Ebonite - Mission or Hammer - Black Widow Nasty

Highest game : 245 :( (soon to improve)
Highest serie : 671 :( (again soon to improve)
Xeph

Interesting patterns you've got over there.

This is a quite flat pattern with a long buff out area. Kegel's Navigation Sport Series don't play easy, but with heavy oil, a low ratio, and that long buff out area, the AUTOBAHN is going to be tricky.

First off, your breakpoint board is the 11th. Second, beware crossing over the middle. If you look at the pattern graph, you'll see an area dead center of the lane that has only forward oil in a big block. That will quickly become a dead zone that will kill hooking motion by having some friction in the midlane.

You've got 2 options to get some volume of shots off before you'll have to move. A: Straight up second arrow with a pearl (2nd Dim?), or B: the tight line inside 5th so the ball posts up in front of the pocket (Lanebreaker). Both options should give you a few shots before you have to move.

Beware of carry down. With that long buff out area, people will use some shiny stuff, and that will drag oil down to the backend... If you see the ball hanging, move OUT, not in.

Lastly... You should have a solid. You've got the shiny stuff well in hand, what you need now is some cover power. The 3 pieces you're using have similar core dynamics, but vastly different covers. I'd recommend the Storm Reign of Fire with a balanced layout. There are other solids out there, but I'm not sure what's available in your area, but Storm's a safe bet.

But yeh... Find a solid.

Hope that helps. Sorry it took me a little long to get back to you... I'm doing the moving process this week. *le sigh* :shock: :(
Hope that helps. Sorry it took me a little long to get back to you... I'm doing the moving process this week. *le sigh* :shock: :(

hope you enjoy your new place!

thanks for advises!

ah by the way, as far as i know, rogue cell is hybrid
still do i need a "pure" solid one ?

Roto Grip - Rogue Cell
Storm - Second Dimension
Ebonite - Lanebreaker
AMF - Nighthawk Pearl
Roto Grip - Crown

« Last edit by Xeph The Great on Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:36 am. »
Xeph

Did I say hybrid? Hmmmmm? No I didn't. Now do push-ups as penance.

To round out your equipment, you should try to get a "pure" solid. Hybrids are alright, but for sheer cover strength, nothing beats a solid.

I was log'd out for a second and saw you signature... Get the Mission. Great solid coverstock. Easy, and predictable move. Plus a Lanebreaker and Mission are a good 1 - 2 punch.

You can stop doing push-ups now.
alright my arms are tired!

i got an update about the tournament, the alley has been changed, that's why the pattern has also changed (since the new alley doesn't have the super uber high-tech lane machine)

http://rapidshare.com/files/402041549/deadmanscurve.pdf.html

this is the new pattern, it's a lil bit easier than Autobahn.

I got some experience on this one, i've played inside of the lane, played on 4th arrow with my rogue cell, and as i remember the breakpoint was in between 10-12 (goes to 14 as the oil goes down)

however i had a problem about carrying the 8th pin (hopefully this time i wont have this problem again)

anyways, that's my experience, what is your advise, dear master ?

*returns to do push-up*

Roto Grip - Rogue Cell
Storm - Second Dimension
Ebonite - Lanebreaker
AMF - Nighthawk Pearl
Roto Grip - Crown

« Last edit by Xeph The Great on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:19 pm. »
Xeph

I think there's another post that has a pretty good run down on managing how you get lined up on the approach when you're consistently leaving a certain pin.

Little moves forward or backward on the approach can help get you into the pocket that little bit tighter so your carry percentage goes up.

"Dead Man's Curve" is a heavy, long pattern that has to be played tight. Straight up, just inside the 2nd arrow (12 board) and in, is the safe bet. You could also try from the inside and having the ball post up in front of the pocket, just watch how far out you swing it... This pattern is setup to have shots go wide and never recover. Quite literally a dead man's curve. Try to get it out too wide and it'll fall off into the channel, or barely graze the corner pin.

Your Rogue would do well because it provides the most grip. Anything with a long pin layout would be good too, mainly you don't want the ball trying to roll early, it'll just skid and pull a James Dean.

Good luck to you.
Hey Stew,

I recently found a Track Arsenal Angular that i was able to get for free. I was curious as to what kind of reaction you would recommend it be drilled for. At this point i was hoping to use it as a deep inside ball, but I can't really find any information on it as to how it is best used. I know that it is a particle ball, a type that I've never used before, so any information you could give on that would be nice as well. Thanks.

Kev

High Series: 732

Current League Average: 209 wednesdays, 197 thursdays.

Current Arsenal:
Roto Grip Cell Pearl
Hammer Black Widow Solid
Ebonite Nitro/r (seriously one of the best balls regardless of its age)
Columbia 300 White Dot
Now that I've lost a bowling ball's worth of weight moving house (yay for effing heat waves), I can get back into the arm swing of things.

Kev

Here's a good link with a lot of info on the Track Arsenal Angular. As with all BallReview.com "reviews" they're all over the place, and written by people who love having the firewall to hide behind.

Word around the shop is that it's definitely an angular piece that's good for either short/heavy or long/light patterns.

It's definitely a backend ball being a pearl particle. Expect it to move a little through the middle, then pull up boards when it hits the dry. There's the legend that goes with every strong piece, that someone saw someone hit the pocket, then watched the ball carry through to the 7pin.

Now onto the important stuff... It's a particle. Do not sand it. Use whatever cleaner you like on it, strongest stuff you can find even, but no Abralon pads. Polish? Sure. Clean & Dull? No problem. This is part of the final breed of particle coverstocks that are extremely durable, and have great lifespans... Though they're meant to be kept at OTB finishes. Keep it clean, and you shouldn't have to worry about it.

It's got a nice midpoint RG (2.51), and a big Diff (0.048) for a symmetrical core shape that's similar to the Hammer Raw Anger. You could lay it out balanced and expect to see some big arc over the lane, or swing out the CG and put the Pin above your fingers to give it the "hockey stick" shape. Or anything in between... No matter how you punch it up, it's a stronger piece that'll best be used on the track or inside lines.

The last point I'll give the Track Arsenal Angular is that people think it's a good ball when carrydown becomes an issue.

Hope that helps... Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go ice my everything.
heyy me again.

i was reading your awesome advises s2dio and you, really, really, know about this game a lot!

so im here with another pattern called Kegel Winding Road from Sport Series

http://rapidshare.com/files/408164845/kegel.jpg.pdf

a 39 feet medium-heavy oil as i can see from this chart, so i'm gonna need my rogue and 2nd dim once more.

and also i may use my lanebreaker too after 4th game or so (since it becomes too dry to throw my rogue)

im thinking to stand on around 20, throw it to the 7th board at 39th feet (exit point) and break it around 5 or 6 at 45th feet

my rev is not TOO much but it's enough to cover from that far (well, i hope :P)

what are your advises s2dio ?

edit :

another question

i am good with my forward roll, however i cannot create enough sideroll

how can i handle that situation?

any ideas?

Roto Grip - Rogue Cell
Storm - Second Dimension
Ebonite - Lanebreaker
AMF - Nighthawk Pearl
Roto Grip - Crown

« Last edit by Xeph The Great on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:37 pm. »
So sorry guys... Had some issues over here, and I'm just plumb out of time to write quality answers y'all expect.

I was thinking of making another FAQ like my "Let's make holes in stuff", but this time have it be an "Everything you wanted to know about a bowling lane" deal.

I'd touch on synthetic vs. wood, oil patterns, lane play, common strategies, and, approaches and ball returns. I'll also go into popular ball choices for conditions.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like included... THAT HAS TO DO WITH LANES, and lane play.

Again, apologies for the lack of responses, but I do check in here as often as I can.

I'll be back full time in 2 weeks.
I haven't bowled on a league in about 4 years and only bowled once or twice for fun in the past year. I started going on saturdays with my friends, to get back my original game but the first week was awful, I shot a 106 115. I couldn't get the Sumo to come back at all like it used to.
Bow_li wrote
I couldn't get the Sumo to come back at all like it used to.

I assume that they have started putting down a lot heavier oil in the past 4 years due to the increasing hook potential of newly released balls. So I would guess that would be a part of the problem.

High Series: 732

Current League Average: 209 wednesdays, 197 thursdays.

Current Arsenal:
Roto Grip Cell Pearl
Hammer Black Widow Solid
Ebonite Nitro/r (seriously one of the best balls regardless of its age)
Columbia 300 White Dot
s2dio wrote
Xeph

Interesting patterns you've got over there.

This is a quite flat pattern with a long buff out area. Kegel's Navigation Sport Series don't play easy, but with heavy oil, a low ratio, and that long buff out area, the AUTOBAHN is going to be tricky.

First off, your breakpoint board is the 11th. Second, beware crossing over the middle. If you look at the pattern graph, you'll see an area dead center of the lane that has only forward oil in a big block. That will quickly become a dead zone that will kill hooking motion by having some friction in the midlane.

You've got 2 options to get some volume of shots off before you'll have to move. A: Straight up second arrow with a pearl (2nd Dim?), or B: the tight line inside 5th so the ball posts up in front of the pocket (Lanebreaker). Both options should give you a few shots before you have to move.

Beware of carry down. With that long buff out area, people will use some shiny stuff, and that will drag oil down to the backend... If you see the ball hanging, move OUT, not in.

Lastly... You should have a solid. You've got the shiny stuff well in hand, what you need now is some cover power. The 3 pieces you're using have similar core dynamics, but vastly different covers. I'd recommend the Storm Reign of Fire with a balanced layout. There are other solids out there, but I'm not sure what's available in your area, but Storm's a safe bet.

But yeh... Find a solid.

Ill be bowling my first sports series tournament next week

The pattern is Autobahn

My arsenal has a C System 2.5 (Brunswick early hook mid-low track layout),C System 3.5 (Old long and snap layout),C System Alpha Maxx (Layout as per 2.5) as for the new ones all flat as per box besides the Alpha which is 1500micro,the other 2 from memory are 4000micro,id class the 3.5 as a better ball than the alpha (due to stupidly drilling away from design!)

Also has 3 polished,Red Alert 900 drilled to hook early with some leway for a bad shot,also a Red Alert Blast and a Vapour Zone drilled the old long and snap format aswell

As for class id say probably between stroking and power stroking (Not to be confused with tweening)

Right handed......unfortunately

In a tournament format how fast will this pattern deteriorate? (2-1 or 2-2 over 10 games) and will 10-12 be a good zone to be shooting at

I bowl thursday nights on kegal Beaten path,will it be alot more difficult?

Any tips for a 190 average travelling league bowler?
« Last edit by redfox064 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 pm. »
Hi guys i know its funny but i bowled today after coming from kratom canada and i was darn good today lol
Last month my back started aching after bowling and i was wondering which is the best physiotherapy toronto. ? someone here to assist me!
Thanks
Dear bowlers,
What bowling balls do you use these days?
Does anyone have a top 3 best bowling balls?

Page: « < ... 13 14 15 16 17

Bowling Evolution Forum - Bowling - Questions, questions, QUESTIONS! Questions...

Bowling Evolution Forum is powered by UseBB 1 Forum Software